My notes and impressions on today’s Apple Keynote.
The presentation running time was a bit short today. Less than 90 minutes. Tim Cook and Phil Schiller were in great shape and did have a few jokes which was showing gave a relaxed tone to the presentation. This was a three segments keynotes: Apple Updates, The Mac, The iPad.
Apple Updates. About 15 minutes.
- There is something magical about this iPhone 5 launch video. But no new sales numbers.
- 3 millions sold of iPod (new ones)
- iOS: 200 millions iOS 6 devices!
- 150 millions docs in the cloud
- iMessages: 300 millions MSG!!! 28k/sec!!!
- Photo Stream 70 millions photo shared
- 35 billions apps downloaded
- 6.5 billions paid to devs
- 1.5 millions books, 400 millions downloaded
- iBooks 3.0 announced: infinite scrolling, without much enthusiasm. This was a minor announcement imho.
The Mac. About 25 minutes.
- Nothing special about the Mac mini. Just an internal update. Same kind of pricing. Still 599$. Wish it as cheaper.
- The 13” Retina Display MacBook Pro took a large part of this segment. Portable are that important to Apple’s bottom line.
- The new iMac. What a gorgeous computer. Wow! I want one.
- The Fusion Drive is THE little surprise here. Seems to be software based. Nothing in hardware. OS X migrate rarely used files to cheaper, slower media.
The iPad. About 30 minutes.
- 100 millions sold in just about 2.5 years. Impressive.
- iBooks Author updated: portrait templates, embadded fonts, multitouch widgets, math formula edition, book updates, available today
- 4th gen iPad! A6X processor! 2x times faster, new ISP, FaceTime HD, 2x faster wifi, same price. Wow, Apple seems to break the yearly upgrade cycle here. The iPad 5 next fall?
- iPad mini: wonderful design! Very iPhone 5 like, A5 CPU, FaceTime hd, 5MP camera, LTE, faster wifi, 10 hours battery life, 329$, iPad 2 still around (surprise here).
- The iPad mini ad is very nice and clever!
- iPad mini maybe a bit too pricey… 299$ was a psychological barrier. Let see how the market will vote on this.
- No iTunes 11. Huh?
- Overall, very delighted by the sum of all the announcements. Apple still has the pewer to design powerful, delightful and best devices on earth.
What are your impressions?