91 posts tagged Steve Jobs
Before going with my observations based on this email from Steve Jobs back in october of 2010, I want to state a few historical facts.
Back in 2010, Apple was selling the iPhone 4 and the iPad came out in march. The iPhone 4S, an upgraded version of the iPhone 4, was released in the fall of that year. The iPad 2 came out in march the following year. The iPhone 5 was a work in progress and was released in 2012. iCloud replaced MobileMe services in 2011.
Now, back to Steve Jobs email. Here are my observations.
- Apple was (and is IMHO) very aware of the competitive landscape (much more than I thought). They don’t do much of user survey but they do survey the market landscape.
- Apple is aware that Google is much more a cloud company than Apple is and they must do something about it. There answer seemed to be iCloud. I think it was a pale answer to that. As of 2014, this is still a pale answer to Google’s advanced in the field. Apple isn’t a cloud company. Period.
- The iPhone 4S was a stop gap between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 with minimal upgrades. LTE wasn’t ready in 2011 one of the main feature after the screen size.
- They were already thinking of the iPad 3 back in 2010 as they we’re having a working screen (the main selling point of the iPad 3). Apple seems to be working two generations of devices in advance.
- On iOS side, Apple is clearly already playing catchup back in 2010. They tried to leapfrog Google with Siri. Did they deliver? I’m ot sure at all.
- New iDisk for Mac is mentioned but we’re in 2014 and iCloud still doesn’t provide a competitive feature on the Dropbox/Box/SkyDrive landscape.
- Apple TV is seen as an accessory for the iPad and a must be presence in the living room. Still, this product received only one update since 2010. This is what happen when your play the role of the hobby product. But in order to make it a real accessory for all iPad users, Apple must improve this product faster. They failed at doing so. Why?
- Back in 2010 Apple is talking about Apps for the Apple TV but 4 years later and we are still waiting for those to be a reality. Apple is being coucht by Amazon, Roku and Google. They lost the lead on this one.
This emailis a rare look inside Apple internal working.